This coming Wednesday, Mr. John Syzygy is going to share with us “how to teaching composition in our private studio”. This event will be a hands-on learning lecture for us to use in daily teaching. Looking forward to seeing you on Wednesday.
Wednesday, March 11, 9:30 a.m.
Lincoln Glen Church, 2700 Booksin Avenue, San Jose
TEACHING COMPOSITION IN THE PRIVATE STUDIO
- How and why to teach composition
- How to recognize a student who might want to compose, and what to do next
- How to use composition assignments to improve musicianship and theory knowledge
- Compositional tricks to help students break past technical and musical plateaus
- How to teach theory through composition
- How to compose without writing anything down
- How, when, and why to teach notation
About John Syzygy-
John Syzygy received his B.M. and M.A. in Composition from San Jose State University, where he was a two-time winner of the Eva Thompson Phillips Award for Composition. He has won numerous awards for his solo and small ensemble works, most recently winning 1st Prize in the MTAC Composers Today Contest (2011). He has studied piano with Dr. Gwendolyn Mok, Dr. Laurel Brettell, Debbie Poryes, and Marc Steiner. His primary composition instructors include Dr. Pablo Furman, Dr. Brian Belet, and Dr. Daniel Wyman.